Frequently asked questions

Comments

• SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    I think you're right, just went digging for the specs and only h.264 is supported. How long does it take to unbind account from the mac address to move to another device?
    My guess is the CPU doesn't support h265 decoding.
    Anyone using this with a Moonbox 2s? Some livetv channels show up black screen (sound is working) like the first channel TVB inews which is not HD. TVBUS, which is HD works fine? Switching to software decoding doesn't work at all so that is out . Anyone from napper can chime in on this? PAL/NTSC issue?
  • @MikeyCanada there are so many boxes out there.
    What you can do is to download the app and then signup for a few days trial for $3.
    Thanks for the reply grimmie!

Downloaded the apk and was finally able to successfully install the app on a Ubox gen2. Just signed up with Napper and so far so good!
    Good to know!
  • My guess is the CPU doesn't support h265 decoding.
    Anyone using this with a Moonbox 2s? Some livetv channels show up black screen (sound is working) like the first channel TVB inews which is not HD. TVBUS, which is HD works fine? Switching to software decoding doesn't work at all so that is out . Anyone from napper can chime in on this? PAL/NTSC issue?
    It is not the decoding. I have tried with few boxes for Napper. Fire TV for example plays h.265 no doubt. Even 4k content. But on napper, it can't play. Some channels just black with audio. What you can do is with the Moonbox, within the App go to Option and then select software decoding. That will let you see the picture as well.
    This way didn't work well for me when using fire tv because it heats it up. Since when you use software decoding, it uses CPU. Hardware uses GPU.
  • Today this box of mine arrived.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728CZV3G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I bought it because it's damn cheap and just have one purpose in mind that is to run Napper.apk.
    Works on every channel. The best combination according to napper is a Cortex CPU with Mali-450 MP GPU. This combination exists for MECOOL but it dont work well. That's where they think Android 7 is too high.
    So best Android 4/5 with the above CPU/GPU combo. Plenty box who are this cheap.
    Thanked by 1padman
  • tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    edited September 2017
    Fire TV only has one version (2015) that support h.265 from wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV

and most old CPU does not have enough power to decode h265.
    It is not the decoding. I have tried with few boxes for Napper. Fire TV for example plays h.265 no doubt. Even 4k content. But on napper, it can't play. Some channels just black with audio. What you can do is with the Moonbox, within the App go to Option and then select software decoding. That will let you see the picture as well.
    This way didn't work well for me when using fire tv because it heats it up. Since when you use software decoding, it uses CPU. Hardware uses GPU.
    Post edited by tomato123 on
  • Here is a box with similar specs based on grimmie's reply

https://tvpadtalk.ca/napper-box1
  • Q: I have an older generation model of a Unbloctech (UBox) box, would I be able to get Napper up and running on this??
    If the box support h265 then it shouldn't be a problem. You can always order a trial to test :)
  • I think you're right, just went digging for the specs and only h.264 is supported. How long does it take to unbind account from the mac address to move to another device?
    Usually take us within an hour - few hours to reset the code.
  • Q: I have an older generation model of a Unbloctech (UBox) box, would I be able to get Napper up and running on this??
    If the box support h265 then it shouldn't be a problem. You can always order a trial to test :)
    @napper Not true,
    h265 is supported by Fire TV, does not work.
    h265 also supported by Mecool M8S Pro+, does not work.

• I think you're right, just went digging for the specs and only h.264 is supported. How long does it take to unbind account from the mac address to move to another device?
    Usually take us within an hour - few hours to reset the code.
    True. I have had many resets, that I am thankful the responses has always been a few hours.
  • Fire TV only has one version (2015) that support h.265 from wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV

and most old CPU does not have enough power to decode h265.
    I know which box I had of the Fire TV. It supports h.265 alright.
    GPU Power VR GX6250
    Content Formats Supported Video: H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U3FPN4U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just go for the cheapest, < $30.
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Q: I have an older generation model of a Unbloctech (UBox) box, would I be able to get Napper up and running on this??
    @napper Not true,
    h265 is supported by Fire TV, does not work.
    h265 also supported by Mecool M8S Pro+, does not work.

@napper

Confirmed, I have a mecool unit also, app just crashes. I think a lot of these apps don't support 7.0 (nougat). I find it strange that TVpad4 works fine even though it may be older than the Moonbox 2s. I find it strange not all channels exhibit this issue. TVBUSA which is HD streams fine on the Moonbox 2S, but TVB i news does not.
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Have been doing some testing with different android boxes, hope this helps others. Napper was very responsive, usually within 15 minutes to unbind codes to mac addresses.

Moonbox M3 - Android 4.2.2 - App runs but most channels black screen
    TVpad 4 - Android 4.4.2 - App runs and works but slow starting channels
    Nexbox A95X (2GB/8GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs well and channels load fast
    Nexbox A95X (1GB/8GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs but seem slow like TVpad 4
    Mecool M8S Pro Plus (2GB/16GB) - Android 7.0.X - App crashes.
    Beelink i68 (2GB/16GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs well and channels load fast

Will update list as I get new boxes to work with, recommend to get at least a 2GB memory box.
  • Have been doing some testing with different android boxes, hope this helps others. Napper was very responsive, usually within 15 minutes to unbind codes to mac addresses.

Moonbox M3 - Android 4.2.2 - App runs but most channels black screen
    TVpad 4 - Android 4.4.2 - App runs and works but slow starting channels
    Nexbox A95X (2GB/8GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs well and channels load fast
    Nexbox A95X (1GB/8GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs but seem slow like TVpad 4
    Mecool M8S Pro Plus (2GB/16GB) - Android 7.0.X - App crashes.
    Beelink i68 (2GB/16GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs well and channels load fast

Will update list as I get new boxes to work with, recommend to get at least a 2GB memory box.
    i ram with mecoool pro plus 2/16 and it is ok byt same as moonbox many channel black
  • Anyone else getting an app crash after watching HK channel 9?

all other channels working fine
  • Hi, I a couple of questions...

Is the Napper apk free of viruses an adware/malware? Is there any way to check?

Will the Napper apk install without issues on a Minix U9-H?

How do I contact Napper for support?

Thanks in advance...
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @asa10100@hotmail.com Nobody complained about it being a malware yet

If the Minix U9-H isn't running android 7 then i should be ok. You could always try getting the trial.

They have a support ticket system.
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Hi, I a couple of questions...

Is the Napper apk free of viruses an adware/malware? Is there any way to check?

Will the Napper apk install without issues on a Minix U9-H?

I don't think that napper should be the first thing you worry about. All these tvboxes from china with all sorts of apps install should be your first thing on your mind. There is really no way for the layman to figure out whats going on with these boxes. As a precaution I suggest you sign up for a gmail account that you have no worries of losing and use that account to install apps from the app store. Then create a "guest" network for the boxes so that it can't poke around your network. Have something to monitor the bandwidth usage, to make sure there is nothing funny going on when you are not using the box. I suggest you shut off box when not in use.
  • bamby8bamby8 Junior Member
    edited October 2017
    fwiw, I have briefly tested Napper 1.11 on two devices:

'old shape' Small7 v3 小七盒子 3代 box (h265). Allwinner dual core 1.2GHz, MALI-400, android 4.4.2
    - I noticed a problem with audio delay (lipsync) on one live T*B channel today, which became progressively worse if I didn't reselect the channel to 'reset' the audio sync. I can only conclude encoding is different on this particular channel.
    - VOD seems to work on brief testing.

1st gen Fire TV stick
    - many channels including some T*B have sound but no picture.
    - trying to 'fast forward' in VOD does not work, and upsets playback.

Conclusion is 1st gen Fire TV stick is definitely not compatible.
    Post edited by bamby8 on
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Adding another one.

Abox M96X (2GB/8GB) - Android 6.0.1 - App runs well and channels load fast

Maybe Padman should combine all this and make it a sticky.