Ub Launcher 3.3.4 + OTA 20160325 Update

Just got an update for UB Launcher 3.3.4 + OTA 0325 update for S800 Plus

I would skip the 3.3.4 and go to the Update app to obtain the update as the OTA contains the UB Launcher 3.3.4 anyways.

Please reboot your box if you don't see it.

WARNING!! If your box has ROOT, you cannot download the OTA update and it will brick you box. You must use the factory restore image SD to recover!

Uploaded the OTA here for those who can't download. You can download to USB and use the Update app and update from local.

I took the package apart and see it has some drivers updates for video and audio and the updated UB Launcher 3.3.4. It's only a 4MB download.
Post edited by killer23d on
Thanked by 1535four

Comments

• wsthongwsthong Just Watchin`
    My winlauncher have been downgraded to 3.1.0 from 3.3.4 after I have updated to a bug fix prompt.
    Even the main menu is back to the old layout instead of the new where you have S1 to S4 for live tv.
  • asianpadasianpad Junior Member
    I got the OTA update for S800 Plus. I updated through UBTV when the window popped up to update. After the update was completed and restarted, it shows the logo...then I get a blinking blue screen. Did I brick it? How do I get the factory restore image SD? Please help. Thanks.
  • I'm confused...should i upgrade to 3.3.4 now? Every time i power on it asks me if i want to update version to 3.3.4....and i have been choosing "not now" for the time being....i'm scared to mess something up, right now my ubtv live is working fine....help please.
  • I don't think you have any choice unless you want to deal with the new update pop up, I don't see any harm if you updated, mine runs fine with the newest update as well as the new firmware.
  • I don't think you have any choice unless you want to deal with the new update pop up, I don't see any harm if you updated, mine runs fine with the newest update as well as the new firmware.
    A relative just informed me that he did the version update to 3.3.4, he has S1, S2 layout but ubtv live doesn't seem to be working...what is he doing wrong? Can anybody chime in...
  • exit the app re-open again see if it work
    Thanked by 1booboolee
  • My winlauncher have been downgraded to 3.1.0 from 3.3.4 after I have updated to a bug fix prompt.
    Even the main menu is back to the old layout instead of the new where you have S1 to S4 for live tv.
    I also got one of these prompts for a bug fix update...but i opted not to do it....i'm nervous about doing these updates until its confirmed that its a good idea, don't wanna regret it cuz my ubtv live is working just fine as is without the version update to 3.3.4
  • edited March 2016
    I got the OTA update for S800 Plus. I updated through UBTV when the window popped up to update. After the update was completed and restarted, it shows the logo...then I get a blinking blue screen. Did I brick it? How do I get the factory restore image SD? Please help. Thanks.
    Please see this thread about making your own recovery Micro SD in case it bricks, it will wipe everything but will return everything to stock.

http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/668/restore-factory-image-for-s800-to-20160126-for-the-experienced#latest

Thanked by 1padman
  • asianpadasianpad Junior Member
    Please see this thread about making your own recovery Micro SD in case it bricks, it will wipe everything but will return everything to stock.

http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/668/restore-factory-image-for-s800-to-20160126-for-the-experienced#latest

Thanks killer23d! I followed your instructions and it fixed it. I can watch ubtv again. Appreciate your hard work.
  • bamby8bamby8 Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    hmm, my ubox downgraded from 3.3.5 to 3.1.0 yesterday, only to be followed by notification to install 3.3.4.

This morning it has reverted back to 3.1.0 again. On further investigation, the ubox is reverting back to 3.1.0, every second restart after upgrading to 3.3.4.

ie.
    On 3.1.0. Accept upgrade to 3.3.4. All okay.
    Shut down & restart - all okay, still on 3.3.4.
    Shut down & restart - now 3.1.0. (Offered update to 3.3.4)

above cycle is then repeated.

I tried a factory reset using Settings -> Backup & Reset.

No improvement.

v3.1.0 suffers from the winlauncher screen reset issue, otherwise, I would have been happy to keep on using it.

I've also lost Google Play app after resetting the ubox.

I don't know much about Android, but does its eco system have the ability to remove a launcher causing device to revert back to stock launcher ?

Post edited by bamby8 on

• I don't know much about Android, but does its eco system have the ability to remove a launcher causing device to revert back to stock launcher ?
    It should not revert unless the permission in the data partition is broken, resetting the box won't help as it simply formats the data partition and it won't re-do the partitions. Maybe you need to re-image the box with my method and reset.
    I'm reluctant to re-image my Ubox at the moment.

I wonder if winlauncher 3.3.5 somehow managed break my Ubox.

I want to see what happens when a newer winlauncher (inevitably) appears.
  • I'm reluctant to re-image my Ubox at the moment.

I wonder if winlauncher 3.3.5 somehow managed break my Ubox.

I want to see what happens when a newer winlauncher (inevitably) appears.
    Like they always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but if it's already broken, trying to fix it won't make it worse. Good luck!
    edited March 2016
    I've just seen 2 other posts on UB's facebook page with what appears to be the same upgrade/downgrade loop issue. Posted in English too, so did not need to use google (mis)translation.

"Just how many 3.3.4 oversea updates are there? I have updated the box no less than 3 times today alone and seems like there is a new update every time I start to box. This is getting ridiculous."
    Yesterday at 21:19

"Happens to me too. The 3.3.4 update doesn't save and I need to reinstall it each time I reboot."
    2 hrs

I've installed 'Simple TV Launcher' from Google Play store and set up Fn Shortcuts in winlauncher, to work around this problem on my UBox until a fix is hopefully delivered.
    Post edited by bamby8 on
  • If you want 3.3.4, it is better to get the OTA upgrade because the 20160325 build contains UB Launcher 3.3.4, updated hardware drivers and clean up of obsolete apps.

I think the problem that people is seeing is from the poor app naming that UB used. It seems to me when there is an update to the UB Launcher, the file manifest by the prefix "com.moon". or "com.unblock". This is very confusing because Android goes by the manifest to determine if the same program exist to do a upgrade or install. If the manifest is wrong, then 2 of the same program could co-exist and cause the box to keep prompting the update.

Going back to solving your issue, I think it's best if you do the Network Update from the Update app, it will install 3.3.4 and remove all the obsolete launchers. You can then do a reset of the box and see if that fixes the problem.
    edited March 2016
    My ubox has 20160325 in the Build Number (winlauncher 3.1.0 when Reset), and I recall my ubox installing a quick OTA update a few days ago.

I launched the 'Upgrade' app as you suggested. Chose 'Network Upgrade'. Sadly it reported no new firmware found.

So does this mean there is not a lot I can do fix the problem until UB choose to re-release the OTA update with a newer build number?

On same note, a friend just emailed me to report their Ubox has been driving them mad, prompting them to install winlauncher update every time they switch on their Ubox for past three days.

Just spotted another post on UB's facebook page in English:

"Anyone have issues that your unblock is keeping downgrade back to V3.1 automatic itself after you turn it off."
    7 hrs
    Post edited by bamby8 on
  • wsthongwsthong Just Watchin`
    Hating my box now. It stills reverts back to 3.1.0 after trying a soft reset.
    Having the most current updated apps caused more issues
    Any good remaining on 3.1.0
    edited March 2016
    We will continue to wait and see if UB come up with a fix for what appears to be broken OTA update for some boxes.

I've left my ubox on 3.1.0 winlauncher because we can't be bothered to 'update' every time the popup message appears. I don't think the version of winlauncher really has any effect on the installed apps. I have observed the problem with winlauncher 3.1.0 is you may not be able to 'see' the newer apps even though they are installed.

Simple TV Launcher working well since I installed it - our chosen apps directly accessible from Home screen. It sees all apps unlike winlauncher 3.1.0. Don't see popup for winlauncher 3.3.4 any more unless we accidentally press the HOME button on the remote - which sadly defaults to winlauncher.

You do need a USB mouse to select the preferred launcher from the android popup box when you restart Ubox for the very first time after installing TV Launcher. Once TV launcher becomes the default launcher, the mouse is no longer needed.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cosinus.launchertv&hl=en_GB

UVOD and UBrec not working for past few days regardless of whether winlauncher 3.1.0 or 3.3.4 is installed. Streams stuck at 0 KB/sec.

UBTV some times suffers from 0 KB/sec too. ULive works well. HDPTv suffers from buffering now and again.
  • If you want 3.3.4, it is better to get the OTA upgrade because the 20160325 build contains UB Launcher 3.3.4, updated hardware drivers and clean up of obsolete apps.

I think the problem that people is seeing is from the poor app naming that UB used. It seems to me when there is an update to the UB Launcher, the file manifest by the prefix "com.moon". or "com.unblock". This is very confusing because Android goes by the manifest to determine if the same program exist to do a upgrade or install. If the manifest is wrong, then 2 of the same program could co-exist and cause the box to keep prompting the update.

Going back to solving your issue, I think it's best if you do the Network Update from the Update app, it will install 3.3.4 and remove all the obsolete launchers. You can then do a reset of the box and see if that fixes the problem.
    I am looking to see if anybody can provide the IMG file of the 20160325 firmware. I will try to upgrade by burning manually as OTA upgrade does not seem with my box. My current firmware version is January 2016. Thanks.
    Have you tried manually applying the small 20160325 OTA Upgrade zip file found here?