Budget Android TV Box ($37 only)

13»

Comments

• edited September 2017
    I kind of agreed with @grimmie , most of users here is just wanted for watching basic video vod etc... However Zidoo is definitely a better box, a high=end box whoever wants to watch and gaming a better video and Dolby DTS audio output, and this box is made in China as well, cheap doesn't means it's bad, it just for a different market.
    i flashed this firmware for our m8s pro 3gb 32gb box.
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool/firmware-roms/658501-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

it has the android tv interface. works pretty good . it's good to save it...in case u might need it in the future.
    Hey, great share, thank you @tylerlee how you flashed it, any tool to use?
    Ok, I got it, it's says it on freaktab.com.
    i downloaded the ota update (522 zip file), extract and put in the micro sd card. after plug in power, press the "1" button nonstop on the remote will auto update. no need to go into twrp screen. about one minute and done.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • For Mecool M8S Pro+, please don't load the Freaktab custom ROM yet.
    Especially if your box has got anything later than the 20170815 fw. (for 20170815 fw it is ok)
    This is because the rom is developed for the older version, and I suspect it's not coping to the later versions. Simply said, hold on not to upgrade first.

For the 3g/32g that you guys have I'm glad it works well.
    And yes, Android TV man, on the $50? Must be neat.

I'm not sure if LE works or not for you guys' box, I highly recommend you having that as well. The Kodi 17.4 performance is much smoother compared to it running on ATV or Android OS.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • tylerlee, I have M8s Pro 3G/16G box. Is the (522 zip file) suitable for update? If the zip file is suitable, shall I unzip it before put in the micro sd card for update? Please advise. :p
  • edited September 2017
    tylerlee, I have M8s Pro 3G/16G box. Is the (522 zip file) suitable for update? If the zip file is suitable, shall I unzip it before put in the micro sd card for update? Please advise. :p
    unzip it and put the files in the micro sd card. i saw some people on that thread did it successfully. make sure u have a backup of original stock rom in case something goes wrong. do it at your own risk.
  • I kind of agreed with @grimmie , most of users here is just wanted for watching basic video vod etc... However Zidoo is definitely a better box, a high=end box whoever wants to watch and gaming a better video and Dolby DTS audio output, and this box is made in China as well, cheap doesn't means it's bad, it just for a different market.
    i flashed this firmware for our m8s pro 3gb 32gb box.
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/mecool/firmware-roms/658501-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

it has the android tv interface. works pretty good . it's good to save it...in case u might need it in the future.
    Hey, great share, thank you @tylerlee how you flashed it, any tool to use?
    Ok, I got it, it's says it on freaktab.com.
    here is the our OEM stock rom from the supplier for back up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B95R3Ethm3YrdzBvcG5RZi10UXM

Thanked by 1535four
  • edited September 2017
    tylerlee, I have M8s Pro 3G/16G box. Is the (522 zip file) suitable for update? If the zip file is suitable, shall I unzip it before put in the micro sd card for update? Please advise. :p
    >

• Thank you tylerlee.
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Anyone looking to purchase the Mecool Pro Plus boxes should watch out, all 2/16gb and 1/8 gb boxes manufactured with 8/15 & 8/29 firmware have bad EMMC chips. You can't flash custom firmware on these boxes as they'll just brick, if you're lucky you might be able to restore to original firmware. Even the manufacturer is not providing any new firmware for this batch. The newer batches have their reset switches removed, so not easy to flash custom firmware. If you want to play Russian roulette then buy it from Amazon with easy returns. If you buy from Gearbest, Banggood and Geekybuying, watch out. You have to ship the items back to China to get a refund, think high shipping fees, usually more than the price of the box. They will drag you with stupid fixes that don't work and then you'll be pass their return time frame. They will not give you their return address until they play tricks with you by giving you small amounts of money and you keep their defective items.
  • Anyone looking to purchase the Mecool Pro Plus boxes should watch out, all 2/16gb and 1/8 gb boxes manufactured with 8/15 & 8/29 firmware have bad EMMC chips. You can't flash custom firmware on these boxes as they'll just brick, if you're lucky you might be able to restore to original firmware. Even the manufacturer is not providing any new firmware for this batch. The newer batches have their reset switches removed, so not easy to flash custom firmware. If you want to play Russian roulette then buy it from Amazon with easy returns. If you buy from Gearbest, Banggood and Geekybuying, watch out. You have to ship the items back to China to get a refund, think high shipping fees, usually more than the price of the box. They will drag you with stupid fixes that don't work and then you'll be pass their return time frame. They will not give you their return address until they play tricks with you by giving you small amounts of money and you keep their defective items.
    Not if you buy with Paypal. I got a full refund without shipping back the box from Geekbuying.
    Always buy with paypal when can..
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    Anyone looking to purchase the Mecool Pro Plus boxes should watch out, all 2/16gb and 1/8 gb boxes manufactured with 8/15 & 8/29 firmware have bad EMMC chips. You can't flash custom firmware on these boxes as they'll just brick, if you're lucky you might be able to restore to original firmware. Even the manufacturer is not providing any new firmware for this batch. The newer batches have their reset switches removed, so not easy to flash custom firmware. If you want to play Russian roulette then buy it from Amazon with easy returns. If you buy from Gearbest, Banggood and Geekybuying, watch out. You have to ship the items back to China to get a refund, think high shipping fees, usually more than the price of the box. They will drag you with stupid fixes that don't work and then you'll be pass their return time frame. They will not give you their return address until they play tricks with you by giving you small amounts of money and you keep their defective items.
    Not if you buy with Paypal. I got a full refund without shipping back the box from Geekbuying.
    Always buy with paypal when can..
    It was with paypal, thats how they were forced to give me a return address after I complained to paypal. Gearbest wouldn't refund me anything through their support ticket system, ignored my replies on their system. Dragged the whole process out over 6 weeks, well pass their 45 day return period. You may just got lucky with Geekbuying, although I've read somewhere else someone had bad experience with them too.
  • edited October 2017
    It was with paypal, thats how they were forced to give me a return address after I complained to paypal. Gearbest wouldn't refund me anything through their support ticket system, ignored my replies on their system. Dragged the whole process out over 6 weeks, well pass their 45 day return period. You may just got lucky with Geekbuying, although I've read somewhere else someone had bad experience with them too.
    if they drag it out 45 days then paypal would be in favor to your claim. not sure if it's luck with geekbuying, they were quite responsive and agreed to full refund and i didnt even need to send back the faulty box which i still have now.
    where did you read it? i was actively talking away at the freaktab forum under the same handle.

by the way i already post in the OP about the faulty box so it should be helpful to others who read. Box works very well with LE though and kodi
  • SNHKSNHK Junior Member
    if they drag it out 45 days then paypal would be in favor to your claim. not sure if it's luck with geekbuying, they were quite responsive and agreed to full refund and i didnt even need to send back the faulty box which i still have now.
    where did you read it? i was actively talking away at the freaktab forum under the same handle.

by the way i already post in the OP about the faulty box so it should be helpful to others who read. Box works very well with LE though and kodi

From same guy, like I said, you got lucky.

Post 977
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/659305-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1/page66

Post 994
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/659305-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1/page67

• He obviously didn't do something right.
    check out post #1105 i just posted there.
    theres a screen shot of geekbuying refunding me on paypal too.