Factory Restore Image - Upgrade S800 Gen 2 to S900 Gen 2.5 (not S900-Pro)

Hi all,

It's been a while and I am here to bring you new update for those who have the S800 Global Edition.

I recently came across a file called s800-160808.img. It looks like a new OS build for the S800 model.

This is a Phoenix Card IMG file that can be used to burn a Micro SD card to restore the device to factory. See here if you are not following the past discussion. http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/668/restore-factory-image-for-s800-to-20160126-for-the-experienced#latest

TL;DR:

Download s800-160808.img.

Please have a copy of the S800-160127-S.IMG just in case you want to go back.

Simply download the new image, burn with PhoenixCard and restore. Once it is powered off and you can power cycle the S800 and it will run. Enjoy the new treat!!

Once you are booted, you will notice the name of the device is now called S900, UBLauncher is up to 4.1.3, the built version is 2016-08-07. I have tested all the UBTV, UBRec, VOD and Live TV are working with my satisfaction. Keep in mind I only spent 1/2 hour on it and I assume everything is working when nothing crashes. Please let us know if there are issues.

---
I've done a little investigation of the S900 Pro and S800, the biggest differences are the S900 Pro has 2X of almost everything including a new 64bit CPU and Mali GPU. It should benefit those who want to use the box for heavy duty tasks like gaming or Kodi. S900 Pro runs on Android 5.1 and S800 is still Android 4.4.

This also means we cannot boot S900 Pro OS on S800 because the S800 only supports 32-bit. I didn't even bother to try. S900 Pro is code named RABBIT and S800 is DOLPHIN. They are very different in the way the OS is constructed.

One thing is interesting to me is that although the model is called S900, the code name remains as Dophin. Either they have a typo or they are rebranding the S800 as a budget version of S900.

image image
Post edited by killer23d on

Comments

• 535four535four Member
    edited August 2016
    killer23d, your your download link named should be s800-160808.img not s800-160127-s.img. Thanks thou...
    Post edited by 535four on
  • Link is correct, just the tag is typed wrong. I've made the correct changes.
  • killer23d, what is the advantage of this new firmware? or just for testing experiment?
  • killer23d, what is the advantage of this new firmware? or just for testing experiment?
    The advantage really is to keep up with the Gen 3 hardware that was released, mainly the new VOD app and launcher.

I suspect Gen 2 will ended up having the same treatment where development just stopped. At least with the new version, we know the Gen 2 is not dead yet.

• I'll test it out, thanks killer23d.
  • golddragongolddragon Junior Member
    Hi Killer23,
    I download this upgrade via internet browser, it could not download. I don't have Mega account to download. Do you have an another way to instruct how to download this? Your info is appreciated. Thanks
  • 535four535four Member
    edited August 2016
    It does not support IE or Edge, use Chrome, Firefox etc...no need to have mega account, just download with the browser.
    Thanks
  • I was able to upgraded this s900 image to s800 UBOX successfully after a 2nd tried, I have to re-burn the image to make it success, it takes about less than 5 mins. It looks good and better, I love this ubox that you can do much more than the other boxes. Thanks killer23d for sharing.
    How to burn new upgrade to PhoenixCard ? Is Phoenix Card as micro SD card? I am not familiar with the computer wording, please instruct me, thanks

• UBLauncher is up to 4.1.4, the built version is 2016-08-07. I have tested all the UBTV, UBRec, VOD and Live TV are working with my satisfaction. Keep in mind I only spent 1/2 hour on it and I assume everything is working when nothing crashes. Please let us know if there are issues.>
    killer23d, questions, where to check the version of UBLauncher? There's no UBLauncher in Apps Market? Am I missed something? Thanks!
  • How to burn new upgrade to PhoenixCard ? Is Phoenix Card as micro SD card? I am not familiar with the computer wording, please instruct me, thanks
    PhoenixCard is a program, put a micro SD card in computer and just run the program, it take about 5 mins to finished, when finished pull the card out and put it in UBOX card slot, unplug the power and wait for its finished and shut down, unplug power cable then re-insert it, wait for its reboot.
  • edited August 2016

UBLauncher is up to 4.1.4, the built version is 2016-08-07. I have tested all the UBTV, UBRec, VOD and Live TV are working with my satisfaction. Keep in mind I only spent 1/2 hour on it and I assume everything is working when nothing crashes. Please let us know if there are issues.>
    killer23d, questions, where to check the version of UBLauncher? There's no UBLauncher in Apps Market? Am I missed something? Thanks!
    You can check version number in Settings -> Applications. UBLaucher is just the name of the Home Screen app.
  • 535four535four Member
    edited August 2016
    Oh..I found it, it's under all apps, it shown version 4.1.3 not 4.1.4, thanks.
    Post edited by 535four on
  • I agreed with you and show version 4.1.3 not 4.1.4
  • I agreed with you and show version 4.1.3 not 4.1.4
    it must be typo..
  • Post edited, thanks for letting me know.

So.. I guess everything works here?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Does the new fw get rid of the log filling up the disk space problem ?
  • Post edited, thanks for letting me know.

So.. I guess everything works here?
    Yeah, it works great and felling more smooth than before.