Banned of Live TV

wsthongwsthong Just Watchin`
edited December 2015 in Off Topic Discussion
I have read from YouTube that the Chinese govt banned live tv streaming for all boxes like tvpad, moonbox, etc.
Only time delay by 6 hours broadcast is allowed
Anyone heard of this?
Post edited by wsthong on

Comments

• alexlihawaiialexlihawaii Just Watchin`
    edited December 2015
    Six months ago, old news
  • wsthongwsthong Just Watchin`
    edited December 2015
    Could it be one of these reasons TVPAD is shutting beside the lawsuit.
    Does this mean other boxes like Moon Box, Unblock will no longer provide live stream?
  • 535four535four Member
    edited December 2015
    Folks, take a chance or subscribe with Dick.
  • fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
    edited December 2015
    What is Dick? Please elaborate
  • 535four535four Member
    edited December 2015
    Years ago when hackers modify the smart card programming for wide open card - all channels without subscription. For legal purpose, they called Dick for Dishnet, Dave for DirectTV on the forums. Man, that was an expense hobby but it was fun...So, nothings are forever.
    Post edited by 535four on
  • fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
    edited December 2015
    Got it. Thanks for info
  • BatmanBatman Junior Member
    FACT: Take TVB for example. It's a free to air channels. It's 100% free, not like cable channels were you have to subscribe it. Therefore, these free channels are in the air for people who has the capability to receive it. All you need to watch it on tv is to get a simple antennae. If I have a powerful antennae somewhere in Africa watching it, does it mean I'm violating the law? The answer is no. TVPad biggest mistake was not challenging TVB in court. There's no way on earth that they can win. TVPad was probably too cheap hiring good lawyers. The don't want to spend the money in long legal battles. Their intention was to take the money from us and run. Cowards!
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @Batman Well, there's another case in US (Aereo) which they were providing free antenna to web feed and they were deemed illegal by the US court.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/06/28/aereo-ceo-shuts-down-service/11619083/
    FACT: Take TVB for example. It's a free to air channels. It's 100% free, not like cable channels were you have to subscribe it. Therefore, these free channels are in the air for people who has the capability to receive it. All you need to watch it on tv is to get a simple antennae. If I have a powerful antennae somewhere in Africa watching it, does it mean I'm violating the law? The answer is no. TVPad biggest mistake was not challenging TVB in court. There's no way on earth that they can win. TVPad was probably too cheap hiring good lawyers. The don't want to spend the money in long legal battles. Their intention was to take the money from us and run. Cowards!
    @padman: Aereo loss because they were charging a monthly fee of $8. They are making money off from suscribers to watch free to air TV. In the other hand, TVpad do not charge anything. It's just a blank box per say.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @Batman Heh that's what they argued but the court didn't agree.
    @padman: Civil lawsuit can drag on for years. This was an open shut case for TVpad. They are cowards! Thieves!
  • 535four535four Member
    edited January 2016
    On Tvpad 1, 2, 3 yes it was an blank box then tvpad 4 it comes with an app with all live channels, I thought they've made an deal with tvb and others, man..it was a stupid moved, of cause they got sued.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    My t4 didn't come with any apps wen it booted up the first time, had to load the apps manually

Did you get yours from a reseller?
    On Tvpad 1, 2, 3 yes it was an blank box then tvpad 4 it comes with an app with all live channels, I thought they've made an deal with tvb and others, man..it was a stupid moved, of cause they got sued.
  • The box is not the problem, you can buy a million of those anywhere on the Internet. The main issue is that TVPad is also the owner of the apps even though they say that they are "apparently" not (of course innocent until proven guilty and all that). For example you would not buy a TVPad just to hook it up to your TV has a media player right ? No, we all know why we bought it.

As for TVB being FTA, that's only in China. I assume 99% of all of us here are not located in China. So no way you can win that case in court ... ever! And no one gave TVPad the rights to rebroadcast TVB around the world, whether that's being rebroardcasted for free or not. There is a reason there is a TVB USA and TVB International, and also a reason there was a TVB Europe (which btw had to be closed thanks to all of us).

Some of you are pissed off for all these problems, but be honest to yourselves. Did any of you for one second think that TVPad was authorized by TVB when you bought the box ? If you did, then you are very naive.

And yes, I know TVB was stupid enough to be stuck in the stone age with their dish program and all, but that does not give anyone the right to "borrow" their channels for profit (even for free).
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    TVB Europe has their own IPTV box. eu.tvbanywhere.com
  • wsthongwsthong Just Watchin`
    Hi Phantoman,

Are you the moderator for clubtvpad?

Didn't TVPAD advertised their services are legal and agreement were made between the TV broadcaster such as TVB.
  • I heard (read) the rumors, but I never had the impression that it was something official. Now I can't read Chinese, so maybe that advertisement appeared on Chinese sites. Still even if they came to an agreement, then it would only be for China where it's free-to-air.
    The box is not the problem, you can buy a million of those anywhere on the Internet. The main issue is that TVPad is also the owner of the apps even though they say that they are "apparently" not (of course innocent until proven guilty and all that). For example you would not buy a TVPad just to hook it up to your TV has a media player right ? No, we all know why we bought it.

As for TVB being FTA, that's only in China. I assume 99% of all of us here are not located in China. So no way you can win that case in court ... ever! And no one gave TVPad the rights to rebroadcast TVB around the world, whether that's being rebroardcasted for free or not. There is a reason there is a TVB USA and TVB International, and also a reason there was a TVB Europe (which btw had to be closed thanks to all of us).

Some of you are pissed off for all these problems, but be honest to yourselves. Did any of you for one second think that TVPad was authorized by TVB when you bought the box ? If you did, then you are very naive.

And yes, I know TVB was stupid enough to be stuck in the stone age with their dish program and all, but that does not give anyone the right to "borrow" their channels for profit (even for free).
    @Phantoman : Now you are insinuating that all of us here knew owning a TVPad were violating some kind of law. What are you doing in here may I ask?
  • edited January 2016
    Read again, I said if you thought they were authorized by TVB, then you were naive. Nothing wrong with being naive btw, after all ... we are only humans. Isn't there a saying about if something is too good to be true etc etc etc ?

What am I doing here ? If you haven't noticed I am trying to help the TVPad community, but I am also a realistic person. So I am also trying to wake up the ones who were misinformed / misguided. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Edit: FYI, I consider myself a white hat (ethical hacker) :)