Root success with KingoRoot

KingoRoot can root the S800, download this:
http://d.kingoapp.com/default/KingoRoot.apk

It is a one-click solution, if that doesn't work or freeze the box, reboot and try again.

Some app from China will request root access, please DENY it as we don't know what they do.

WARNING! Once you root, you can't get OTA update. I will have to publish the updated ROM manually in the future for that so you can flash it. We'll see and please have the Recovery SD made and kept aside just in case you brick the box.
Thanked by 1tylerlee

Comments

• what is advantage for rooted the Ubox?
  • I can access all the partitions other than data, then I can look into the inner workings of the box, extract OTA updates, make backup of the whole system, etc. That's why it's important I created the recovery before anything I can do to the system in case I kill it.
  • Doesn't work for me. Kingoroot just freezes at 90%. Have tried restarting the device and repeated the root process several times, still fails. I have a S800 Global Edition. Firmware is 03/25 stock.

I've also tried iRoot, 360Root, TowelRoot and Framaroot. None worked.

Is there a custom recovery that we can flash via update.zip somehow, so we can install SuperSu via recovery?
  • Is this just for S800 ??? S800 Plus can work ????
    WHAT Stock Firmware Version you used ? or date ???
  • I tried to flash a hacked TWRP for another Allwinner H4 device, it won't even boot. I had to force restore the device to factory. I think the recovery has to be made for the specific device, but my lack of knowledge to obtain the source and the drivers make this task nearly impossible.

I used Kingroot and I had to have it done twice to get it to go, but then I don't feel I am getting much out of rooting it unless I need to explorer the device. It also makes OTA update not possible because the patch won't apply until to restore to stock.

I have the S800 Plus and it worked for me.

Sadly, I left the box unused because I was tired of it. lol
  • edited February 2018
    Thanks. i finally decided to root my ubox3 with this. i tried to root it with apk from their website in the past and it didn't work. yours worked.
  • Old thread... At this point, I don't recommend rooting because OTA updates will not work.

I had to re-flash the firmware in order to get OTA updates.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • Old thread... At this point, I don't recommend rooting because OTA updates will not work.

I had to re-flash the firmware in order to get OTA updates.
    auto updated fine on ubox3 8gb version with china tunnel.