Taking a US bought TVpad4 to the UK?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone taken a US bought TVPAD4 to use in the UK? I'm visiting my folks in London and connected my box through their wifi, but I wasn't able to access the TVPAD store and even YueTV showed a message saying something like "restricted in this region". Every time I try to close the message, it will exit out of YueTV, making it unwatchable.

I thought the DNS restriction only applied to connections from within the USA. Any advice most appreciated please because my folks love the unit and it would be great if they can use this paperweight of mine.

Thanks!!

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    Should work fine. What version is the firmware ?

I reset the box to factory settings and entered the wifi details but no items in marketplace showed up, and I wasn't able to upgrade the firmware either.

Any thoughts please?
  • edited January 2016

• cheuk5cheuk5 Senior Member
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone taken a US bought TVPAD4 to use in the UK? I'm visiting my folks in London and connected my box through their wifi, but I wasn't able to access the TVPAD store and even YueTV showed a message saying something like "restricted in this region". Every time I try to close the message, it will exit out of YueTV, making it unwatchable.

I thought the DNS restriction only applied to connections from within the USA. Any advice most appreciated please because my folks love the unit and it would be great if they can use this paperweight of mine.

Thanks!!
    Yes if you use Yue Tv and 36 Tv apps outside of USA then you need VPN , It sounds stupid! You need to run 港粤网络电视 = Yue Tv ,宝岛电视= 36 Tv outside of UAS. :p
  • Guys, much appreciate the quick responses. I actually don't care for YueTV at all - I just want to use the Tvpad4 in the UK with functionality like before the USA got the ban.

Does anyone here have similar experiences with using the TVPAD4 in the UK? It sounds like it's just me...

To help illustrate my situation, here's a summary of my current situation:

1. TV pad firmware 5.054, box bought in US, factory reset, only app installed is YueTV.
    2. Connection is through Virgin internet, wifi connection
    3. no manual DNS settings
    4. When switched on, TVPADstore is empty with nothing available to download.
    5. Network shows "-1" error just like in the US
    6. YueTV shows the "region block" message

• padmanpadman Moderator
    @simonp Read @cheuk5's repsonse
  • Thanks padman and cheuk5. Before I factory reset, I had 港粵網絡電視 installed using the apps provided in the "useful apps" thread. But when I ran 港粵網絡電視, it says error -2 and did not load any shows.

Basically my box is still blocked in the UK and I thought all along that by bringing it over to a network provider outside the USA, I should be able to bypass all blockings and have full access to the original functions and apps in the tvpad store.

So is there nothing else that I could do apart from subscribing to a VPN service?

Thanks again for all your help.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Try changing the dns server. The error -2 is usually that
  • Try changing the dns server. The error -2 is usually that
    Guys, thank you both very much for your help. I went back through the outage threads and put in the DNS for Europe, rebooted, and voila! The box is now working great. Turns out all I had to do was to put in a DNS for Europe in the first place - duh!

A huge thanks to padman for doing such a great job of running the forum with well organized info for layman users like me!
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    Suggest to update the firmware to 5.06 if it's staying in Europe and then update the apps via the appstore.
  • Suggest to update the firmware to 5.06 if it's staying in Europe and then update the apps via the appstore.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But when I tried to, it told me I was already running on most up to date version...?
  • @Somebody, you can check the firmware version at the system setup menu. If it shown 5.06 then it is the latest one otherwise you may need to change the DNS to 49.x.x.x to get the update.