Need recommendation for htv 2 or 3 or untv.

I am planning on buying a new tv box soon and I want to get some advice. Is the only difference between htv 2 and 3 is the spec right? I am thinking about the htv 3 but if it function the same as 2 might as well get 2. I am thinking about ub box as well because of the price. If all i want are mainly live hk tv what should be my choice?

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    Get the htv2 if pricing is an concern.

I wouldn't recommend the Ubox because it's not stable at all.
  • Well, htv 2 is 168 ish on ebay and htv 3 is around 200. I am debating about I adding warranty for it. I am debating on warranty because Squaretrade actually honored my tvpad 3 warrenty that I bought from amazon 2 years ago.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    How much is the warranty ?
  • This is the funny thing. On amazon 3 years square trade warranty is only 20 but on ebay it is nearly 35.
  • MmmaruMmmaru Junior Member
    This is the funny thing. On amazon 3 years square trade warranty is only 20 but on ebay it is nearly 35.
    If it works. You should get it. Nobody knows when these things will just disappear. Latest TvbUSA FB post listed all the devices and telling people not to support them.
  • edited January 2016
    They are liek hydra, cut off one head and another will pop up to take it place. BTW, I heard something about htv support for 5 years, what does that really mean?
    They are liek hydra, cut off one head and another will pop up to take it place. BTW, I heard something about htv support for 5 years, what does that really mean?
    I'm sure hydra is cheaper to support. Haha. Each one of these devices are expensive. Not sure if there's any validity to the 5 years. Probably just throwing out a comforting number. I'd be surprised if they last another 5 months. My biggest gripe with htv is the support ( or lack there of). Example, I just emailed them this morning and got a bounce back from the email address that was previously working. That's a bit concerning.
  • Well, tbh tvpad 4 is still working but people have lost faith it in.

Well, tbh tvpad 4 is still working but people have lost faith it in.

I think people just want a stable device. And the constant updates and outages is driving people nuts.
  • well it kind of prove the tvpad 1-3 shutdown doesn't have much to do with the lawsuit.
    Please note, if you do contact htv for support, write in Chinese. They respond much quicker.
  • i am leaning toward htv 2 since it is essential the same thing as htv 3 with lower spec and i use wire connection nayway
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    How big of a price difference is HTV2 vs HTV3 ?
  • How big of a price difference is HTV2 vs HTV3 ?
    about 20-30 USD in NYC. Most vendors carries HTV3 these days, price range is $160-$180

• padmanpadman Moderator
    For 20-30, may as well get the htv3.
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    well it kind of prove the tvpad 1-3 shutdown doesn't have much to do with the lawsuit.
    Speculation is this:

Due to the US court case TVPAD has closed all US servers and stop trading in USA.

This bring the problem for old TVPAD 3 2 1, as they are all program to run on the US servers. Edit the DNS can divert the TVPAD to outside US server.
    TVPAD4 are running as normal after the V5.060 update and new apps, this update point the TVPAD4 to server outside USA.

TVPAD 3 2 & 1 run on the Linux system and they partner with another server company which they have to pay for their services. Old tvpads can no longer run normally without DNS and the capacity of outside USA old servers are not enough to serve every old Tvpad.

TVPAD 4 are on Android which and TVPAD fully own the server system.

TVPAD company decided not to renew server contract to continue services for Tvpad 321.

This is why they want everyone to move on to the TVP4 and TVP1,2&3 are no longer working.
  • I through tvpad 3 is based on andrid as well
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Nop, it's GVOS
    I through tvpad 3 is based on andrid as well
  • Gvos, i remember using that to install the n store, but I could have sword i see android on it as well. So it was some kind of android/linux fusion ha deathmobile?