Why DNS?

bob321bob321 Junior Member
edited December 2015 in TVPad / BlueTV
Hi Everyone,

First apologies if this has been answered, but I can't seem to find it or just enough information in general.

So my question is why changing DNS works? I can run my own DNS server if necessary, but name resolution is mapping to an IP address.

That is the name the TVPAD device is trying to look up for the servers? I can just enter that entry into my router or my own server with the IP address that name belongs to and not have ever change DNS again.

I'm not understanding why the constant change and then it works?

Seems to be if we know the server(s) names the apps are trying to resolve, we can come up with our own table for the TVPAD device rather than constantly scrambling to change DNS address.

Thanks for any info in advance.
Post edited by bob321 on

Comments

• badbob001badbob001 Junior Member
    edited December 2015
    I do have the same question. To fix my tvpad2, I had to use vpn to connect to a different country but then I still needed to use a different DNS to get everything to work.

And now there a service called tvpaddns.com where you pay $5/month to use their dns and it claims to work with all tvpads. If this service works without VPN, then it seems like the outage is just a DNS issue. My guess is that US-based dns servers are purposely not allowing users to resolve tvpad server names or are just not accepting updates from tvpad. DNS server in other countries are still allowing it, but most blocking access from US users, which is where VPN comes in.

But why can't someone simply publish the name/ip addresses of the tvpad servers and we can either stick them into a hosts file on the tvpad (probably needs root access) or stick them into a local dns server/router? Then we don't have to pay for vpn or dns.
  • gqone76gqone76 TV Nuts
    edited December 2015
    well, main thing is, because they had to give extra time to get the IP's while it was working so asking to publish it free is bit, I don't know.. issue is that most of the domain names that TVPAD uses were purchased and registered through godaddy, which godaddy stopped all their domain names with court order, so you have to use the DNS server that has the old DNS information to their servers (which is why using other DNS does not work as they can't get to the DNS server that handles that domain name as domain name doesn't exist anymore. each app uses different domain names so finding the ip's for your need takes time. besides, for most ordinary people setting up DNS server is a challenge and they rather pay for the service than set it up them selves, although it's fairly simple if you use advanced router or verizon fios router. bit challenging part is doing packet sniffing to the apps you need. since you are technical enough you should be able to packet sniff the connection with vpn or paid dns to get the proper ip's and set it up your self. but at this point, why bother, as servers will be shutdown in 1 Jan

badbob001 Wrote:
    > I do have the same question. To fix my tvpad2, I
    > had to use vpn to connect to a different country
    > but then I still needed to use a different DNS to
    > get everything to work.
    >
    > And now there a service called tvpaddns.com where
    > you pay $5/month to use their dns and it claims to
    > work with all tvpads. If this service works
    > without VPN, then it seems like the outage is just
    > a DNS issue. My guess is that US-based dns servers
    > are purposely not allowing users to resolve tvpad
    > server names or are just not accepting updates
    > from tvpad. DNS server in other countries are
    > still allowing it, but most blocking access from
    > US users, which is where VPN comes in.
    >
    > But why can't someone simply publish the name/ip
    > addresses of the tvpad servers and we can either
    > stick them into a hosts file on the tvpad
    > (probably needs root access) or stick them into a
    > local dns server/router? Then we don't have to pay
    > for vpn or dns.