Anybody got a purevpn account I could borrow to make a tutorial video ?

padmanpadman Moderator
edited November 2015 in Announcements Archive
Going to make a video on how to setup purevpn with TVpad4. Anybody got an account I could borrow for a few hours ?

If you do, please shoot me a PM.

I know there's refund available at purevpn, but there are restrictions on the refund condition.

Cheers :)-D
You have not used more than 500MB of bandwidth i.e. data transfer (total upload and download activity using PureVPN) or you have not exceeded 30 sessions i.e. the number of times you connected to PureVPN services. Whichever comes first.
Post edited by padman on

Comments

• tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    edited November 2015
    You can just sign up and get refund. Don't worry. I sign up for lifetime and get refund after two days of use. Their vpn required to change DNS also. I don't like that. Free DNS you got somewhere else not always reliable.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the info. Guess I'll order it when DHL deliver my pads next week >:D<

tomato123 Wrote:
    > You can just sign up and get refund. Don't worry.
    > I sign up for lifetime and get refund after two
    > days of use. Their vpn required to change DNS
    > also. I don't like that. Free DNS you got
    > somewhere else not always reliable.
  • BennyLamBennyLam TV Nuts
    edited November 2015
    Hello tomato123, did you sign up the $60 for lifetime PureVPN deal and then canceled? Was that a legit deal from PureVPN?

You also mentioned their VPN require change of DNS, I checked the setup guide for OpenVPN for Tomato router but it didn't mention the requirement of changing DNS. Can you explain?

Thanks

tomato123 Wrote:
    > You can just sign up and get refund. Don't worry.
    > I sign up for lifetime and get refund after two
    > days of use. Their vpn required to change DNS
    > also. I don't like that. Free DNS you got
    > somewhere else not always reliable.
  • Almighty1Almighty1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Remember that what other(s) use VPN's for and what you use a VPN for is different as others want to hide where they are physically while you are trying to make the destination sties think you are elsewhere and also at the same time, use DNS Servers that actually the answers to connect to the tvpad servers. DNS (Domain Name Service) is basically a name to IP address resolver so you put in a name, it will give you 1.2.3.4 where each # can be from 0-255. It's like giving someone a address and then it gives you a phone number so you know how to reach it. DNSes in general are support to resolve everything as it will query the root nameservers to see who handles the database zone files for that domain. In the case of TVPad, this is not broadcasted so only nameservers that tvpad allows would have that info which is the same reason only some DNSes work and not DNSes that work for everything else except TVPad. That's the reason tutorials don't talk about DNSes in general because unlike the majority who will not have problems connecting to their destinations, you're trying to find DNS servers that actually know how to connect to TVPad so it's really two different things. VPN (Virtual Private Network) is just a transport just like your Internet Service Provider being a physical transport but in this case, VPN will make you look like your connection originates from the VPN server over a virtual tunnel. DNS is like the directory assistance.

BennyLam Wrote:
    > Hello tomato123, did you sign up the $60 for
    > lifetime PureVPN deal and then canceled? Was that
    > a legit deal from PureVPN?
    >
    > You also mentioned their VPN require change of
    > DNS, I checked the setup guide for OpenVPN for
    > Tomato router but it didn't mention the
    > requirement of changing DNS. Can you explain?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > tomato123 Wrote:
    >
    >
    > > You can just sign up and get refund. Don't
    > worry.
    > > I sign up for lifetime and get refund after
    > two
    > > days of use. Their vpn required to change DNS
    > > also. I don't like that. Free DNS you got
    > > somewhere else not always reliable.
  • tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    edited November 2015
    I don't use router at all. lifetime PureVPN deal is legit.

But PureVPN won't work for me unless I change the DNS on TVP4 (Which is pain in the ass if you have 5.06firmware). Other VPN service, you just connect and TVP4 will work without need to change DNS.

BennyLam Wrote:
    > Hello tomato123, did you sign up the $60 for
    > lifetime PureVPN deal and then canceled? Was that
    > a legit deal from PureVPN?
    >
    > You also mentioned their VPN require change of
    > DNS, I checked the setup guide for OpenVPN for
    > Tomato router but it didn't mention the
    > requirement of changing DNS. Can you explain?
    >
    > Thanks
  • thed0rkestthed0rkest Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't have PureVPN. I do have PrivateInternetAccess. Please let me know if you would like to use it.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when DHL decide to give me my tvpad today :)-D

thed0rkest Wrote:
    > I don't have PureVPN. I do have
    > PrivateInternetAccess. Please let me know if you
    > would like to use it.
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    tomato123 Wrote:
    >>
    > But PureVPN won't work for me unless I change the
    > DNS on TVP4 (Which is pain in the ass if you have
    > 5.06firmware). Other VPN service, you just
    > connect and TVP4 will work without need to change
    > DNS.
    >

I think the experience varies depending on your location, especially now the US region is restricted following the court case ruling.

I'm in Europe and use a VPN via a second router connected by ethernet to TVP4 5.06. I use a South Korean server with DNS on auto. Speeds aren't great, with 6Mbps down and <1Mbps up, but programmes stream OK.

Something strange happened though when I first set it up with the VPN router. The TVP4 decided to factory reset itself following VPN connection all on its own, but I was able to download and install all the apps from the TVP store. It's been working fine since that initial set up. I have also installed Kodi from an .apk on a usb drive using a file manager downloaded from the TVP store. One thing that is bugging me though is that the TVP4 is outputting in 720p instead of 1080p.

I also have a TVP m121 which is not routed via VPN but working fine on DNS 49.x.x.163.

Finally, this looks interesting for you folks in the US: https://www.sling.com/tvpad2