Cheap Android box for Napper with full h265 decoding

2»

Comments

• Hi all,

This won't beat the $25 cheap box.
    But I will recommend everyone to get the new Amazon Fire Stick 4k.
    Black Friday Sale is $35 only (down from $50)
    It works with Napper for all channels, I just tried. And the hardware is quite advanced.

It's especially good if you are like me, who's got Prime since the stick comes with Prime and Netflix (of which both supports 4k source)

Browsing on Napper is extremely fast as well.
    You beat me to it.
    I was gonna post this amazing finding. The Amazon Fire Stick 4k provided the best viewing experience for napper tv. This includes the following devices that I've tried over the past year.

Xiaomi MiTV Android TV - many channels don't work, device seems to get buggy.
    Nvidia Shield - many channels don't work, device is solid and fast.
    MxQ Pro 4K Android 6.0 S905W 1GB RAM - channels work, but device is a little slow at times.
    Sammix R95S Android 6.0 S905W 2GB RAM - channels work, but device is very buggy and performs worse than the MxQ Pro 4K with only 1GB Ram.

Amazon Fire Stick 4K - Channels work, loads faster, solid device, don't get freezes or crashes from the app like the MiTV or Shield. I think this is the best device for napper TV.....especially at the Black Friday sale price.

Maybe we should stop recommending the S905 Mali-450 GPU and start looking at the MTK8695+MT7668
    with PowerVR GPU.
    Yes, I had been trying the Fire TV earlier which has Mali 450 with h.265 exactly as what Napper said, but it weren't working on many channels.

FireStick 4k is the best with Napper. Plus you use that one device to get on your netflix, amazon prime or anything else.
    I also load kodi on it for icdrama, as well as RSS Player. All works on one box. best box so far and by far.
    Do you have issues with loading the the TVB 1 US or TVB 2 US channels? I too have the Fire Stick 4k and the operation has been flawless with the exception of those two channels. It streams at a good bit rate but audio and video never resolve. It seems like those channels are encoded differently?
  • bamby8bamby8 Junior Member
    It streams at a good bit rate but audio and video never resolve. It seems like those channels are encoded differently?
    fwiw, when I tested a W95 Android 7 box a few months ago, I recall the W95 couldn't hardware decode ch.2 despite healthy data rate, and there were issues with ch.1 picture quality. Software decoding could resolve the picture but it was unwatchable due to poor frame rate. I concluded at the time they don't use the same encoding method on all live channels. I don't have the W95 any more so can't check the channels.

I've also noticed a few months ago, the popular live channels now use p2p delivery method. (Unblock have also switched to p2p recently)

• Hi all,

This won't beat the $25 cheap box.
    But I will recommend everyone to get the new Amazon Fire Stick 4k.
    Black Friday Sale is $35 only (down from $50)
    It works with Napper for all channels, I just tried. And the hardware is quite advanced.

It's especially good if you are like me, who's got Prime since the stick comes with Prime and Netflix (of which both supports 4k source)

Browsing on Napper is extremely fast as well.

Nvidia Shield - many channels don't work, device is solid and fast.

Nvidia Shield really don't work ah for many channels?
    Anyway Amazon got a seller now at $107 plus shipping!!
    And it is the NVIDIA with gaming edition (with game controller)
  • clfnoleclfnole Junior Member

I am still using the only TVPad 3 or 4 can’t remember with Napper but it only can do 720p max resolution. Tried my Shield but it didn’t work well since I wanted to take advantage of the 1080p channels. What is everyone’s opinion the Firestick 4K or the cheap box reviewed?

• padmanpadman Moderator

Closing thread. For latest hardware review, see https://tvpad.ca/discussion/2516/cheap-box-review-for-2020/

This discussion has been closed.