Settings menu cannot be opened

All,
Have anyone came across this problem:
When the settings menu of TVpad 4 (running v5.054 in US) is accessed via dragging it down from the top right, the settings cannot be opened and I was immediately returned to the app's page.

I tried using another app , 'Quick app setting' to access it, cannot access it either.

My TVPad 4 recently froze, and the behavior above happened after I rebooted the device. As everyone knows, you need to access the settings menu to correct the device's date and time.

Does it sound like the Operating system on the device is corrupted? If it is, would a factory restore fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
    edited May 2017
    So I am answering my own questions.
    To all who are curious:

1) Is the OS on TVPad4 corrupted in the scenario noted above:
    Most likely. The settings is the fundamental part of Android OS 4.4.2 (Jellybean) user interface. Not able to access it means the copy of OS has some files damaged.

2) Would factory reset fix it:
    Yes. I just did. and the TVPad 4's setting menu can be accessed after factory reset

3) Cautionary details:
    a) Take a picture of the current apps and their arrangement before start - this is handy in case you need to figure out how they were originally arranged ; and in case you need to add/delete app after batchinstall is performed.
    b) Make sure you have all the apps backed up onto a thumb drive before performing factory reset.
    c) Make sure batchinstall.banana is also copied to the thumb drive of the backed-up apps. Otherwise, you will not be able to install the apps eaasily

4) Downside of factory reset and app re-installation:
    You may need to re-login to all the apps that requires log in (e.g. VPN app)
    You may need to re-arrange the apps back to the original arrangement
    You may need to re-enter all necessary app settings (e.g. RSS player channel setting)

Actually, I found out that if you know what you are doing, performing a factory reset once every year may be even be healthy to TVPad4 as it really gives the device a clean environment to operate on ( similar to doing a OS re-install on your computer ).

Hope my 2 cents helps.
  • This is so informative.
  • cheuk5cheuk5 Senior Member
    All,
    When the settings menu of TVpad 4 (running v5.054 in US) is accessed via dragging it down from the top right, the settings cannot be opened and I was immediately returned to the app's page.

I tried using another app , 'Quick app setting' to access it, cannot access it either.

My TVPad 4 recently froze, and the behavior above happened after I rebooted the device. As everyone knows, you need to access the settings menu to correct the device's date and time.

Does it sound like the Operating system on the device is corrupted? If it is, would a factory restore fix it?

Thanks.
    Please try reset to factory and reload all apps again
  • All,

Thanks.
    Please try reset to factory and reload all apps again
    Thanks for confirmation. Yeah. That was exactly what I did.